Re: [Healeys] smiths clock

To: caddi5@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] smiths clock
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:49:57 +0100
Depends on the type. Some older clocks do not have a diode and can be
used neg or pos ground. However it is more likely that the diode is
there. In that case you can totally isolate the clock and connect up as
intended, feed wire to the body, clock terminal to ground. You also have
to fit a plastic back light holder to the clock body to isolate the
light as this will be connected up to the rest of the dashboard lights.
Alternative: get another clock for negative ground.
Perhaps there are ways to convert to neg ground, but that is outside my
knowledge. Perhaps one can remove the existing diode and fit a diode
externally or replace it reversed?
Always fit a 1A fuse in line with these clocks. They are very fragile.
Often the contacts are spark corroded and need to be cleaned. Always
start the clocks when the battery is reconnected. If they are connected
up without running, the contacts will self destroy.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL