Re: [Healeys] 100-4 overdrive

To: warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-4 overdrive
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:54:43 -0700
The way I am reading this, the first paragraph and the second paragraph
contradict each other.  In the first paragraph there is a slight slippage,
in the second it implies that the unit is going in and out of OD.  However,
if he is saying that the car feels like it has a slipping clutch both in and
out of OD, then yes a bad sprag clutch could be the problem.
A sprag clutch is a one way clutch.  Think of a ratchet that you use with a
socket to undo bolts.  It freewheels in one direction, and locks up tight in
the other direction.  This is what a sprag clutch does.  It locks up tight
in the forward gears so the engine does not cause the brake ring /cone
clutch in the OD to slip.  The brake ring cone clutch as a very small
surface area, and the torque of the engine could easily overpower it.
If the sprag clutch is bad, you can get slippage under hard acceleration.
It is normal to get slippage under hard acceleration in reverse as the sprag
clutch is released.
Hope this helps
Rick

>>However, I still have my long standing problem of a slight slippage of a
clutch or the equivalent. I had previously removed the transmission to
replaced the flywheel pressure plate and clutch a few times years ago trying
to solve the problem.

>>He told me that
the fluid could be an issue if it was slipping only in overdrive. Since mine
is slipping in and out of overdrive, he is 99 percent sure that it is caused
by a broken circlip spring (Vicky B part number 14623) in the overdrive.
This spring puts a little tension on the (spray clutch?) He said something
about rollers run up and lock it???) He indicated that one shop in the past
has replaced about five flywheel clutches thinking that this was the
problem.
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html