Re: [Healeys] Tires

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tires
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 23:49:52 EDT
I race an MGA on the track using 5.50 x 15 Hoosier vintage TD bias-plies.
My Healey has 165 x 70R15 Kelly Metrics (radials) for the street. When I
restored my 100M, I drove it for awhile (to and from concours) with the Dunlop
5.90 x 15 Roadspeed tires, and have a friend who has only ever had the Dunlop
Roadspeeds on his XK140. No way would I use the track tires on the street
-- they require attention every second -- but we only run for 20 minutes --
and frankly, the Roadspeeds aren't a whole lot more predictable, but they are
a lot of fun and definitely give you the vintage feeling.
For my money, I'll continue to mount the highest profile 165 or 175x15
radials I can find for the Healey, for the simple reason that they're a lot
more
predictable and a lot more forgiving in highway driving. Also, they're
cheaper, when I'm going to have to replace them every five years as the tire
compound ages.
But for short distances -- city and show -- the Roadspeeds are a neat look.

Cheers
Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html