Re: [Healeys] Screw terminals - keeping them connected?

To: "Oudesluys" <coudesluijs@chello.nl>, "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Screw terminals - keeping them connected?
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:45:00 -0400
I have always been instructed NOT to solder the wire ends and then crimp
them under a screw. The soldered area of wire can in time and with
vibration, crush down and change shape under pressure as well as introducing
a brittleness to the wire just beyond the solder. I always bare the wire
ends, twist them together and make sure they are all the way into the clean
terminal socket. Then ensuring the screw itself is clean and the threads are
in good condition, tighten the screw. This should splay the wire out in the
socket area so it won't pull out.
I can't remember ever having a problem following this practice.

Rich Chrysler