Re: [Healeys] Screw terminals - keeping them connected?

To: Rich C <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Screw terminals - keeping them connected?
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:36:52 +0200
Rich,
When you solder/tin the wire end one should never use corrosive acid to
prep the ends but use resin core solder as used in electronics. It is
probably not the hardening of the copper that creates problems but
corrosion.
If a mechanical fracture occurs it will be because of vibration,
regardless if it is soldered/tinned or not, however it will occur
earlier in soldered/tinned wire ends where the area over which the wire
flexes wil be less, conceded.
Always try to avoid vibration in wire ends by securing the ends of the
wire by tying in the first inch or  so and/or use crimp hose ( also very
effective as a marker if you use different colours crimp hose) to cover
the joint with the bullet or spade connector or the eyelet made up with
wire.
In the case of spade or bullet connectors I prefer the cheap&simple ones
without the insulation in combination with soldering and crimp hose.
This gives a much neater result. I hate the look of the squashed
blue/red/yellow insulation of the usual modern connectors.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html