Re: [Healeys] Transmission Tunnel Removal

To: <gmandas@yahoo.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Transmission Tunnel Removal
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:46:51 -0400
Greg,  This is not hard.  Remove both your seats first by removing the nuts
under the seat bottoms and lifting the seats out.  Then remove the two screws
at the rear of the arm rest (one on each side of the base of the arm rest
frame on the tunnel) and lift the rest out by lifting the rear portion first.
You will see a screw at the rear of the console to remove.  Then there are two
screws on each side of the front of the console going up into the bottom of
the dash (by where your knees would be if sitting in the seats).  Remove the
shifter knob and now you may be able to pull back on the console kind of in a
U motion to release two studs from a bracket that is beneath the flat portion
of the console just in front of the gear shift hole.  If this is not possible
and you don't have a radio installed you will have to reach around in front of
the console and loosen the nuts attaching the bracket to the console and then
remove the console.  If there is a radio then you will have to remove it
probably first and then the bracket screws.  Once you have the console out
there are 8 screws holding the fiber glass tunnel to the floor.  Remove those
then lift the tunnel out to expose the tranny area.  Oh, you have to remove
the speedo cable from the rear of the speedo to completely take out the tranny
cover as it slides through a grommet on top of the cover.  Don't forget to
have the speedo securing ring inside the cockpit before screwing the
fiberglass tunnel back down or the speedo cable won't be able to be secured
back in its place.  This sounds like a lot but it only takes about 15 minutes
or so to do.  You can look in a Service Parts List book if you have one or in
a Moss catalog to see all the parts I've mentioned to make it more clear.  It
would be a good idea to order a shop manual or the CD to refer to when working
on your bj8.  These things are a great aid as most things can be removed and
replaced by the owners with just a basic standard tool set and some posidrive
screw drivers.  If you have time it will save you a ton of money and you'll
learn some new words along the way.

Take care,

George Haywood

'65 bj8

> From: gmandas@yahoo.com
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Transmission Tunnel Removal
>
>removing the transmission tunnel in a 65 BJ8? It's not so much the tunnel,
it's the dash and center console I'm concerned with.
 Greg

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL
:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html