Re: [Healeys] Tyre life expectancy

To: Tom McCay - Classic-Car-World Ltd
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tyre life expectancy
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:55:01 +0800
10 years is really the max.  I had 15 year old Rikens with no cracks,
looked new and 80% tread - the belts delaminated - very dangerous
thankfully I noticed the vibration while on a residential street.
When I pulled over you couldn't even see the delamination, I just
noticed the sidewall varied slightly in offset from the rim - very
subtle.  Took it to the tyre shop and the thing practically fell apart
when he broke the bead to remove the tyre.

I think the best sign is if the tyres are slippery in the rain.  If so, replace!

Alan