Re: [Healeys] Tyre life expectancy

To: Tom McCay - Classic-Car-World Ltd
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tyre life expectancy
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:08:09 +0200
Tom,
This has been discussed regularly on all classic car fora.
For safety sake tires should be changed after 7-10 years of age (as
indicated by the marks on the tire, not the bill of sale), depending on
storage conditions and opinion of people in the know. They may be
perfectly OK after this time but you cannot be sure. The compound
hardens ( leading to bad road behaviour and wet road performance) and
can change without any external signs like cracks or crazing, also
invisible internal delamination can be at hand (sudden blow out,
desintegration of tire).
Tire tests show again and again that NOS tires do not comply anymore
with the original High Speed requirements and many serious accidents
caused by a blow out have been attributed to old tires that were sold
and fitted as new tires.
My own experience has been with the tires on my Jensen Healey I bought 2
years ago. It had new tires in 1999 (date of manufacture 1997) , had
driven about 2000mls from that time and the tires looked absolutely
brand new. Wet road behaviour was terrible and it handled like a dog, OK
they were Hankooks but even new Hankooks should not handle that bad.
Obviously the compound had hardened considerably.
I changed them recently to Nokian V tires and this changed the road
behaviour of the car very dramatically.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL