Re: [Healeys] TOP DEAD CENTER

To: Eric Frenken <info@brits-n-pieces.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] TOP DEAD CENTER
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:34:54 +0200
Eric,
It is one of the most accurate methods I know, providing you have some
heavy oil on the piston rings and valves for sealing. The nearer you
initialy get to TDC and the smaller the bubble is you use, the more
accurate the method. You will have to renew the soapy water when you are
on TDC first time and then retry with a smaller bubble. You have to
repeat once or twice but once you have a nearly flat `bubble`/membrane
you can move your piston one thou and you will see a change in the soapy
film.
Allans method is only accurate if the crank and piston pin are in the
same plane as the cilinder center lines, which is in most in line
engines. If it is of center (as in some V engines) the arc on the pulley
from left to TDC is not exactly the same as from right to TDC, although
the difference is very slight.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html