Re: [Healeys] Facebook

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Facebook
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:34:34 EDT
Since I edit print magazines, I've been spending a lot of time thinking
about these new means of communications that are (no joke, I'm totally serious
here) revolutionized our civilization to the same extent that occurred when
movable type and literacy eventually wiped out minstrels, messengers and
oral traditions in the 14-18 centuries. Only this time it's happening in the
space of two generations.

in any case, what Facebook really amounts to is the capability for each
person to form his own Healey List among his own friends, tailored exactly to
his own interests, which allows him whenever he wants to maintain
conversations and exchange photographs with a circle of friends and
acquaintances of
his own choosing. We like the Healey List because we all share this one
interest in common, but now each person can have his or her own list. If we
wanted
to create a Healey Facebook List (and I'm sure there already are several,
we could replace this list with that group almost instantaneously.

And everyone is right -- as this new method of communication has developed,
the concepts of privacy that were workable when the printed word was the
only way to save information and distribute it are dead and gone unless you've
always been living totally off the grid, paying in money or barter, and
living a life where you never ever had to sign your name.

Welcome to the brave new world, old print/paper guys.

Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html