[Healeys] Bouncing Speedometer & Clutch Judder

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Bouncing Speedometer & Clutch Judder
From: "John Soderling" <bighealey@astound.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 20:06:55 -0700
Off and on there has been a thread on this List about the problem of a
bouncing speedometer needle.  I've had this problem with Erika the Red's
speedometer for the past 12 years or so - the needle would bounce 5 MPH back
and forth once the speed exceeded 50 MPH.  I lived with it thinking that it
was caused by a failing needle bush or magnetic wheel in the old speedometer
and some day I'd pull it out and get it rebuilt.  Well earlier this month
while at Healey Rendezvous 2010 in Eugene, Oregon the speedometer stopped
working altogether.  On the way home the gremlins struck again - I lost all
master clutch cylinder hydraulics and later was forced to stop at a traffic
signal 35 miles from home and had to be hauled home.

I decided to replace both the master and slave clutch cylinders and I removed
the transmission cover and bulk head to make it easy to replace and bleed the
slave.  It was then I noticed that my speedometer angle drive was flopping
around and that this had finally broken the drive end of speedometer cable.
So I had to replace both the angle drive and the cable and guess what?  My
speedometer now works perfectly with no needle bounce. The needle problem all
along had been due to a failing angle drive.  So if your speedo needle
bounces, first check your angle drive before sending you speedometer out for
rebuild.

In order to not exceed the List maximum file size, I'll cover the judder issue
in a follow up email.

Vrooom vrooom,
JOhn
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html