Re: [Healeys] oscillatiing/chattering oil pressure gauge

To: drmasucci@comcast.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oscillatiing/chattering oil pressure gauge
From: bighealey3k@aim.com
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 08:24:43 -0400
Dave,  Years ago I had the same thing happen to my '67 BJ8.  I was driving in
traffic and all of a sudden my oil pressure gauge started to vibrate and the
needle oscillated very rapidly and I noticed a drop of oil on my left pant
leg.  I looked at the back of the gauge and saw a drop of oil hanging on the
nut that attached the direct reading oil line to the back of the gauge.  I
tightened the nut and it did not help.  I am the original owner and know the
oil pressure line had never been disconnected and guessed there must have been
a column of air in the line that was lost due to the loose nut at the back of
the gauge.  I took the line loose at the engine and gauge and blew out the
line and reconnected both ends and the problem cleared up and has never
reoccurred since and that was back in '69 or '70.  There is a small pin hole
in the fitting to the back of the oil pressure gauge that dampens the pressure
entering the gauge and I'm guessing the hole can't dampen the oil pump pulses
with a column of oil at the back of the gauge.  The column of air compresses
more easily than the oil does and is dampened by the pin hole.  Hope this
helps.

Larry
'67 BJ8