[Healeys] Sticking brakes resolved

To: pennell@cox.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Sticking brakes resolved
From: <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:37:14 -0400
Hello Listers,

Thanks to the many who replied on my initial sticking brakes issue.  All your
suggestions had merit and I carefully considered each one.

Today i got back to the sticking problem.  I placed a bar clamp loosely on the
exposed shoes and then began to use the brake pedal.  No motion in the shoes.
I could not get them to retract either.  So I thought I should do something.
The lining surface looked a bit glazed so I roughed them up with sandpaper.
Next I bled an ounce or two of fluid out of the wheel cylinder.  Finally, a bit
of pounding on the shoes and wheel cylinder with my hand provided movement in
everything.  Voila!  No more sticking brakes!

Still not sure of what the prob was.  It appears that the wheel cylinder was
not free to move in the backplate.

The test drive this evening was wonderful.  She ran just fine and the brakes
were as new.

Thanks again for the input.  This list is such a huge resource.

Keith

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html