Re: [Healeys] It's the corrosion in the block, stupid.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] It's the corrosion in the block, stupid.
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:38:43 EDT
In a message dated 8/26/10 7:37:54 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> So what is my point? The usual Healey engine block is probably full of
> really
> bad stuff. On one engine block that I inspected many years ago, I found a
> large/heavy wire (also heavily rusted) in the water jackets around the
> cylinders. We could only surmise that it was part of the original core
> stabilization in the casting process. I think that most overheating
> problems
> are a result of stuff in the block - which then finds it's way into your
> radiator. That is why I take every block and have it chemically stripped
> before I do a rebuild.
>
> Richard Mayor
> BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
> Portland, Oregon

Richard, who has probably the fastest actually vintage legal Healey in the
world (none of the "Healeys" racing competitively in England are vintage
legal) is absolutely right on all counts. When I switched to an NOS 1622 block
on my MGA, and then got the timing and mixture right, all of my overheating
problems went away. Like Richard, I run a Stant thermostat, which does
exactly what it's supposed to do. It helps get the engine up to temp quickly
on
cold, gray mornings, and then opens up and is no longer a factor.
If you've cleaned the radiator, checked the thermostat for operability, and
got the timing and mixture right, and it still overheats when in motion,
the only thing left is the block.
Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html