Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Rads

To: Editorgary@aol.com, Healey List Emails <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Rads
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:05:10 +0200
  Aluminium has a lower heat transfer than copper, I guess about the
same as brass and I never heard of steel radiators except in some old
Renaults, and than only the thin steel laminates around the brass pipes.
Aluminium radiators are used nowadays as they can take much higher
pressures thus temperatures, which means that the engine will only boil
at very high temperatures and allow the engine to run at higher
temperatures causing them to be more efficient.
It will also increase the cooling at moderate temperatures as there will
be less local boiling due to this higher pressure, leading to a better
metal to water contact.
15 psi is about the max I would go with a conventional brass rad, 25 psi
or even higher is not uncommon with an aluminium rad.
However you have to replace all your hoses with silicon hoses to take
the pressure.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL