Re: [Healeys] BN1 I want to drive it

To: "Shop at \" Just Brits \"" <shop@justbrits.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 I want to drive it
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:08:58 -0500
As ED said, you have taken a step to isolate the problem which is great, if
I understand you diagnosis correctly you are bypassing the centrifugal
switch and all is OK, the centrifugal switch in the BN1 overdrive circuit as
designed is only supposed to allow the car to go into overdrive, to quote
the factory manual "relay R2 will therefore maintain the coil contact of
relay R1 in the event of the centrifugal switch contacts opening"

Some people bypass all the centrifugal and throttle switch stuff for
simplicities sake and have reported no ill effects, I always kind of the
thought the whole centrifugal and throttle switch thing was kind of cool,
especially the littel "blip the throttle to kick it out of O/d exercise" so
made sure mine worked as intended

The relays can often be fixed by cleaning the contacts, the cover lifts off
after you pry the tabs out.

Good luck!

Greg Lemon