Re: [Healeys] 100 BN2 almost done....

To: Rich C <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 BN2 almost done....
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:57:33 +0200
  Rich,

You are right that I did not know the sensor bulb is in the radiator,
however the same principle of preventing vibration of the capillary
line, especially near the bulb and the gauge, goes by fixing the line as
near as possible to the gauge and bulb. I have a box full of to be
repaired gauges because of leaking/cracked capillary lines to prove my
point.

If originality is your goal, yes you should fit drum brakes, and they
can certainly work wel enough with proper maintainance.

However I had my fair share of front drum brakes on a variety of cars
and they nearly always were troublesome. OK, regular maintainance was
one aspect, but try it on a VW Beetle, Landrover (very much so), Fiat
etc. You just will not know in advance which way you will go when
braking. The only cars it usually worked well on were DAF and Renault.
Give me discs at all times, hardly ever had problems with those, even on
LBC's. On my LandRover SIII I modified the front axle using disc brakes
and calipers converted from a Mercedes van/truck, resulting in
predictable braking with much less effort, using the original MBC.

At the bottom line though Tadek has done a formidable job, in a very
short time and has a lovely car to show for it.

Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
coudesluijs.vcf]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html