[Healeys] Fwd: Oil Changes

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Fwd: Oil Changes
From: "Chris Dimmock [Healey]" <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:52:39 +1000
Hi Dallas

In the 2nd link,
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/149%20LATEST%20ZINC%20LEVELS.pdfPenrite
talk about 'designing oil for purpose'.

*"Remember the zinc maximum (actually phosphorus)* for API SM (ILSAC
GF-4) *products
only applies
to SAE 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosity grades*. *Other SAE
grades do not need
to comply*. Incidentally, ILSAC GF-5, due in a couple of years will drop
phosphorus maximums to
700ppm (or about 770ppm of zinc from ZDDP)."

That's probably why their HPR is in those 'unusual' grades (whereas their
"modern engine oils" are 5W-30 etc) and probably why they say - at the
bottom of the first page I linked to "Penrite HPR 40 meets the
*performance*requirements of:API SL"

Penrite HPR30 (20W-60 with Zinc 1580 ppm); HPR 40 (25W-70 with Zinc 1760
ppm); and HPR 50 (40 - 70 with Zinc 1760 ppm) are the oil of choice of many
1960's Healey/ Jaguar racers in Australia. Of course other people run other
oils - but what I've seen is most run HPR.

They explain it in more detail here in their August 2010 update:
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/images/PENR0138_Penrite_Zinc%20Tech%20Bulletin.pdfin
their

Personally - I did consider changing to a synthetic engine oil, after the
black & white car had run in over 20 competition events, and done a few
thousand road miles. Pete Molloy came over and we put the car up in the air,
and pulled the sump.
http://www.myaustinhealey.com/mechanical_restoration.html We did this
because several guys had sheared off cam/ oil pump drives; had premature
tappet failure etc. I'd been using Penrite HPR50 on the track, and HPR40 on
the road.
Pete was pretty impressed with the condition of everything - his comment was
- why would you even think about changing the oil brand/type???

No commercial interest in Penrite.
Best
Chris

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Dallas Congleton <dcongleton@embarqmail.com