Re: [Healeys] 57 today

To: "healeymanjim@hansencc.net" <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 57 today
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:02:31 +1100
Ok.
I'm lucky that the first owner (Richard Steil) of my BJ8 recorded much
of his mileage - including driving my car to Australia from England.
He recorded his odometer reading every day for 3 months on his drive
to Australia.
The third / 5th owner (they were the same guy, Wally Gates) also kept
a log book of his racing. And driving.
So adding those together, they tell me the story of at least the
mileage before I bought the black & white car.
When I restored the black & white car, I didn't reset the odometer. I
didn't zero it.
When an owner claims "original miles" I believe he is claiming that it
still has the original speedo/ odo and it is "original" and has never
been reset.
The mileage is "proveable".
My odometer crossed the 100,000 mile mark a few years back. I even
took a pic.
I can't walk outside to check my BJ8. But if a BJ 8 odomoter resets to
zero at 100,000 miles (not sure? Can't remember??) then "original
miles" on my BJ8 would be ~ 103,000. Odometer Indicated miles could
possibly be  ~ 3,000 (if it reset at 100,000)
Obviously, replacing / zeroing/
my speedo - or resetting the odo to zero at the resto in 1998 -would
mean I couldn't say "original miles"
That's my take.
Best.
Chris