Re: [Healeys] Static timing

To: Jose Vicente Vargas <jvvmusme@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Static timing
From: Olin Brimberry <healey@hunterbane.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 21:11:11 -0400
Although you may find specifically how to do this in the archives,
this is what I would do.  Take out the #1 plug and place a plastic
stick or similar object that will be forced out with the compression
stroke of the #1 cylinder.  Now, rotate the engine so that the stick
begins to rise and observe the rotor on the distributor.  Make sure
that the ignition timing pointer is approaching 0.  If 0 is not near
by, then you are on the exhaust stroke and you need to rotate another
180 degrees.

I am assuming that you want about 10 degrees advance at static.  When
the marker is about 10 degrees before 0 on the crank, then you want
the rotor tip (metal) to be facing directly on the #1 cylinder
reference (look for a small crack/slit in the edge of the distributor
- this is #1 mark).  If not at this position, then rotate the
distributer to that point if you can.  If there is not enough
adjustment, then you will have to lift the dizzy out until the gears
are free and rotate the arm with the expectation that the helical
gears will further rotate the rotor as it glides in.

You will want to make sure that after you set the dizzy with #1 and 10
degrees static advance, that you are approximately in the middle of
the adjustment so that you have a lot more freedom of adjusting when
you are adjusting the timing after it is running.   Hopefully you will
find your problem through this procedure.  Crank it up and check idle
timing (don't know the spec here) and adjust as necessary.  When this
is set, then check high speed (full advance) at about 4000 rpm.  If
you do not achieve full advance (I think it is around 37) at 4000 rpm,
then you should look at getting the dizzy rebuilt as this involves
lubrications and replacement of low and high speed springs.

Just as a side item, make sure that you recognize within the
specifications whether they are in terms of "crank" or "distributor"
degrees since the dizzy rotates 2:1 with the crank.  Since you will be
measuring at the crank with a timing light, this is what you should
look for.  When distributors are set up on a dizzy machine, they work
in terms of distributor degrees.

Olin Brimberry
61 3000 MKII
BT7 Sideshifter TriCarb