Re: [Healeys] Land rover diesel

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Land rover diesel
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:11:25 +0100
Bill, I very much disagree. There is no way you can get a LR SIII in a
straight line down the road. I have road tires, Koni shocks, parabolic
springs and front disc brakes, new swivel hubs and its bearings, new
steering joints, properly set steering box (less than 5mm play), correct
toe in etc. Although the mods (especially the tires) did improve matters
tremendously it will still wander and will keep you busy at the helm.
Any European  60's and 70's car performed far better in that area.
The best mod was the conversion to disc brakes which led to proper
straight line braking at all times.

It is one of the worst cars I have ever driven, extremely uncomfortable
driving position, noisy as hell over 45mph (even worse in a diesel) and
while it may do over 60mph on a good day, 50mph is a more or less safe
speed in traffic for a LR Series.
Of road it is brilliant with the proper tires.

However it is great fun. Masochism. I mainly used it to tow the horse
box to and fro contests for the daughters.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
coudesluijs.vcf]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html