Re: [Healeys] another generator question

To: lists <lists@brits-n-pieces.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] another generator question
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:11:29 +0000
May I chip in here.

What matters with a generator is that it must not overheat as it will
burn out if taken much above its maximum output rating. This is why
regulation voltage is set at a given temperature. The regulation voltage
is allowed to increase if the temperature is lower and therefore the
cooling air is more effective. Interestingly the C45 generator had its
output rating increased prior to its application on A-H with just an
improved fan and no other change.

The current that flows and therefore the amount of heat generated
internally depends on the difference between the regulation voltage and
the destination voltage. This being the battery. A low charge battery
will take more current than one that is fully charged because the
battery voltage rises as it takes charge.

However with a low battery and the extra load of the headlamps etc, the
voltage difference might be too high such that more current flows than
is safe. Therefore on the two coil regulator there is another current
winding that reduces the regulation voltage to a point where the
generator current is safe. On a three coil regulator maximum current is
more carefully controlled so a maximum figure is quoted from the same
basic generator.

Thinner brushes also helped but I will not go into this.

 From what I have read the C42 was improved such that it could run hotter
safely and therefore give a higher output although being smaller.

Regards

--
John Harper
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html