[Healeys] Diff. difficulties

Subject: [Healeys] Diff. difficulties
From: pajtamuvek at gmail.com (Austin Healey)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:38:57 +0100
Hi,

I have dismantled the differential of Cliff, and I have found it to be
completely shot: nearly all the bearings are worn, the wors being a
differential bearing (on the crown wheel side, which eventualy fall apart
when I removed it (I will put pics on my site).

Good points are that all gears are in perfect shape, including the
differential pinions, the shaft is also looking good, tehre were not much
metal dust/fragments in the oil (some brass powder only).

Bad point is, that I have never done such thing. I have read the BMC
Workshop Manual and the Haynes Manual for guidance. I think I have got the
tools to do the work.

Though I lack knowledge. Is there anybody who can guide me through a bit?

I have collected the bits I need, but not sure though.
- are there different brand of bearings?
- which is the best?
- which to avoid?
- do I need to buy the expensive shims for the differental bearings, or can
I use purpose-cut thin steel shims?
- how can I test the differential preload (not the pinion shaft preload)?

Though I am a bit affraid, it makes me excited to do something new,
something challenging.

Thank in advance!
Gergo