Re: [Healeys] FW: 48 Tucker auto.

To: John Sims <ahbn6@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: 48 Tucker auto.
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:29:04 +0100
I just returned from my San Diego holiday/wife4s congress. In the car
museum there was only one very interesting car, the Tucker, what an
interesting project! I liked the simple design of the originally
intended engine with its hydraulically operated valves and minimal
amount of parts, however I wonder if the bronze cylinder linings would
have worked. Apart from a nice collection of motorcycles there was not
very much of interest.

What a beautifull area San Diego is. An extremely well off area. Very
clean and well maintained, perfect sidewalks, no grafiti or dirt, also
the lesser area4s in the South. In stark contrast is the very neglected
state of the road surface in many places.
I especially like Little Italy, La Jolla and the Harbor boulevard with
its museum ships. I spend nearly a full day on the Aircraft carrier.
Great public transport with local buses, trolleys and trains going
everywhere, and very cheap at 5 US dollars a day go anywhere! Bus and
trolley drivers are very friendly and helpful. In fact that goes for
most Yanks bar Immigration/Customs, but that is a Universal problem.
I loved driving around Southern California in my hired Nissan Sentra. It
always surprises me how relaxed and easy going American traffic is
compared to the European situation.

Saw a lot of 1960/19804s Americana, a surprising amount of old
Mercedes4, many of them the Pagoda sports, a few Volvo4s, a lot of VW
Type1 and 2, BMWs. I even came across a Fiat 500 ca. 1965.
Some mid-late 19504s Chevrolet Bel Air, Corvette, Ford Thunderbird, a
unknown to me19204s American car , Delauny?, and some late 1940/early
1950 cars and trucks. A fair few new(ish)  Lamborginis, Maseratis, Aston
Martins, Range Rovers and Jaguars. I also saw some strikingly good
looking sportscars-roadsters of US manufacture I presume. Small and
compact but no idea about the make. Much better looking than the large
flashy Corvettes.

Why are there so many of the gas guzzling trucks around? Is this a tax
thing?
No small cars apart from the odd Smart and Toyota Yaris. An amazing
amount of medium and large Japanese and Korean machines.

Very few old LBC4s, a possibly salvageable MG TC on a scrap yard on 3rd
Ave between Main Street and Orange Street near Iris Ave for the ones
interested, Land Rover SIII, AH 3000, white with a dark red top (up with
lovely sunny weather and 74F, shame!!), Sunday 23rd of January on Harbor
Drive near the Town Hall, anyone from the list?)

I will definitely go back next year.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
coudesluijs.vcf]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html