Re: [Healeys] Chasing Classic Cars

To: Mark LaPierre <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Chasing Classic Cars
From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:48:07 -0700
Mark,

I have a good friend here in SoCal who is the West Coast equivalent of Wayne
Carini.  Nothing in the Discovery show surprises me since I've seen/
experienced the very same thing with my buddy Tom at Classic Showcase (
http://www.classicshowcase.com/) here in Oceanside, CA for many years now.

Being located on the West coast is convenient since Tom concentrates on the
Auctions in Monterrey and Scottsdale every year, but like Carini, he also
ships cars across the county to Amelia Island and often has to ships them
back when they don't sell.

You ask why go through the expense... because you can very often hit a home
run at auction that you would never get selling out of the showroom.  Look
at it this way, how many BJ8's or other Healeys get Kurt Tanner prices
selling out of the back of the two Heming's Motor News or the AH
magazines...? The answer is none!  This is why Kurt DOES NOT do customer
restorations, only auctions.

Is this show on the level?  From my separate but similar experiences, it
absolutely is on the level.

BTW, my buddy;'s wife almost never goes with him on his selling trips to the
west coast auctions.  She will accompany him to Jaguar events where they can
promote their business since my friend specializes in Jags, and is a JCNA
Concours judge.  Wives deal with husbands on the road for business all the
time in much less glamorous jobs.

Cheers,

Curt

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html