[Healeys] Clutch question

To: "'Healey'" <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Clutch question
From: "Neil Anderson" <neilandcustom@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:35:54 -0500
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to know what the list thought.
A friend is restoring  a BN2 for a customer, but this would apply to about
any car.  He is about ready to mate the gearbox and  rebuilt engine.  He has
a new clutch disk, but was thinking of using the original pressure plate.
The Healey has about 70,00 miles and the pressure plate shows little sign of
wear and no discoloration from overheating and is not warped.  Should he
also replace the pressure plate as a matter of fact?  Is an original better
material than new repros?

This is not a small budget restoration, so he is not necessarily trying to
cut corners, but doesn't want to spend money that he doesn't need to.  He
also realizes the hassle of having to take out the gearbox and overdrive if
the clutch has a problem at start-up or later.

Other Healeys he has done, he replaced the whole assy.  Feedback?

Thanks,

Neil Anderson

BT7, AN5s

Malta, Illinois