Re: [Healeys] smitty 5 speed - type of oil

To: <healeyguy@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] smitty 5 speed - type of oil
From: "Jonas Payne" <JPayne@ThorCon.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 20:44:34 -0700
I find it awkward that this debate continues, ad nauseam.   I own 3
cars, manufactured by 3 separate manufacturers, all of which have the
same gear box supplier - Moss/Meadows/Jaguar.

The owner's manuals of each call for different weights of oils, yet all
3  gearboxes are the same. OD, non OD, it makes no difference.  The fact
of the matter is that a thicker/heavier weight  oil hurts nothing other
than efficiency of the box, warmup, and 10ths of a MPG down the road,
and as we have found with the Redline products, some (a lot) of leaking.

Anything short of 30wt would be a mistake, if you use redline, have your
Kitty Litter in hand, and if heavier weights, 75-90 are available, why
not.  Cheap insurance.

I use the 90wt stuff in everything, and to date, have had no lubricant
related issues.  If I used 30 Wt, I could likely report the same,  and
If I used the redline stuff, I would likely report no issues either,
with the exception of a larger than normal stain on the garage floor.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084