Re: [Healeys] BJ8 engine gaskets

To: Team Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 engine gaskets
From: Greg Mandas <gmandas@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 16:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
All,

I started working on the gaskets.  I de-greesed the engine and tranny as
much as I could. The pan and front gaskets are damp, but not dripping.
Running up on the jack stands,I'm getting black oil dripping out of a hole in
the bottom of the bell housing with what looks like a cotter pin wobbling
around in it. I'm also getting clear oil off the OD end of the tranny.

changed the rear and middle side cover gaskets since they were seeping.  I
ordered from Moss a cork gasket for the rear, which was too big, and a very
thick rubber gasket for the middle, which was way too small and now leaking.
Really?  Is this right?

Also, David, when changing the oil filter using the
method described in Tech Talk (what a great reference), do you fill the
canister with oil before replacing it?  If so, it's just as messy as removing
and replacing just the canister, it just moves the mess away from the starter
motor.

Greg
65BJ8

--- On Sun, 5/15/11, Greg Mandas <gmandas@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> From: Greg Mandas <gmandas@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8
engine gaskets
> To: "Team Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
> Date:
Sunday, May 15, 2011, 7:16 PM
> Thanks all for your advice and
> methodical
processes. I will follow them
> praying for the best.  An engine rebuild is
not in the
> budget at the moment.
> I figure I'd start with the easy ones,
as the car sat in a