[Healeys] BJ8 engine gaskets

Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 engine gaskets
From: msalter at precisionsportscar.com (Michael Salter)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 22:23:11 -0400
Hi Greg,
Randomly changing gaskets is not the way to resolve oil leaks.
Start by thoroughly cleaning the engine with Gunk or a similar product.
Spend as much time as it takes to get it thoroughly clean from top to bottom
then you have a chance of finding the source of the problem and correcting
it.
There are 5 types of oil leaks.
Static, which occur without the engine running. These are usually isolated
to the drain plug or a crack in the pan.
Pressure leaks occur as a result of the engine's oil pressure . These
include gallery plugs, filter cans and housings, distributor feed seals etc.

Return leaks are probably the most common and are the result of bad gaskets
or distorted covers.
Blow by leaks are the hardest to solve and are similar to return leaks. They
are caused by crankcase pressure venting from the engine and carrying oil
vapor and mist with the escaping air. These usually require a rebuild and
include the very common rear main leak.
Dynamic leaks are often overlooked. These are caused by the oil in the pan
sloshing up against bad joints or seals as a result of the motion of the
car.
After cleaning place a sheet of corregated cardboard under the engine.
The trick is to examine the clean engine after cleaning and without running
it.(Static leaks)
Next run the engine at an idle for a few minutes and watch for drips onto
the cardboard. (Pressure, return and possibly blow by leaks)
If that does not produce a leak then take a short a run and check very
carefully for signs of oil on the outside of the engine.(Blowby and dynamic
leaks).
Engine oil leaks can be solved but it takes a methodical approach.

Michael Salter