[Healeys] Suspension Changes & Now Front End Vibration

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Suspension Changes & Now Front End Vibration
From: "John Soderling" <bighealey@astound.net>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 13:27:13 -0700
Hi,

Two weeks ago I replaced the King-pin/trunnion oilite thrust washers with
Torrington needle-bearings on my BN4 and what a nice reduction in the steering
effort, especially below 40 MPH.  I also replaced the rubber top link bushes
connecting the trunnion with the shock arms with the hard polyurethane
bushings.

I've noticed that the front suspension feels a little harsher and I now have a
front end vibration causing scuttle-shake over 55/60 MPH on pavements that are
rough textured or wavy that was not there before the work.  I'm not talking
about really bad chuck-hole type pavement but pavements that are not nice and
smooth.  I had my wire wheel guy check the on-car-balancing of my front tires
and he said they are spot on good.  The king-pins are good and when installing
the needle-bearings the up-lift was set at less 0.002".  My first thought is
that this vibration is due to the very hard polyurethane bushings.

Has anyone who has switched to the hard top trunnion bushings had this
experience?  Thanks for any thoughts based on experience.

John Soderling & Erika the Red
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html