Re: [Healeys] remountinbg rear bearing

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] remountinbg rear bearing
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:43:17 -0400
The shop manual says:  "When re-assembling [the bearing hub] it is essential
that the outer face of the bearing spacer should protrude from .001 in.
(.025 mm.) to .004 in. (.1 mm.) beyond the outer face of the hub and the
paper washer, when the bearing is pressed into position.  This ensures that
the bearing is gripped between the abutment shoulder in the hub and the
driving flange of the axle shaft."

I achieved this measurement by using two 0.003 front wheel bearing shims
equally spaced around the flange of the hub housing with the bearing spacer
on top of the bearing, and the paper gasket in place.  Using a metal bar
spanning across the bearing spacer, I tapped on the bar to press in the
bearing and spacer until the bar was seated on the shims on each side.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA