[Healeys] Bn2 excessive oil pressure

Subject: [Healeys] Bn2 excessive oil pressure
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 13:39:01 +0000 (UTC)
Jose,

Regardless of the filter, the oil pressure relief valve should limit the
pressure to a maximum of (typically) 60-70psi.

30psi @ 1,000rpm is great, but 90 @ 4,000 seems too high; the obvious culprit
would be the valve, but I can't explain how just changing the oil and filter
would instigate the problem (unless, maybe, you went from 20W break-in oil to
straight 60W). Definitely check the valve for burrs, etc.; maybe try a
different spring.

Sounds like your rebuild was good--most issues are with too low pressure--but
too high puts undue stress on the cam/distributor gear and seals.

Bob

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

After the engine rebuilt I had normal oil pressure 20-30 at 1000 rpm and 40-50
At 4000 rpm.
Using the spin oil filter adapter from moss and the cheap fram spin on oil
filter (moss # 235-880)
After an oil and filter change this week I get 30 at 1000 rpm and 90 at 4000
rpm and 100 at 5000 rpm. I changed the oil spin on filter to the K&N (moss #
235-830).
Any ideas,

Jose