Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Exhaust Systems - BJ8 or BJ7?

To: Robert Blair <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Exhaust Systems - BJ8 or BJ7?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 21:39:02 -0700
On 6/15/2011 6:24 PM, Robert Blair wrote:
> Hi Listers, The time has arrived for a new exhaust system on my BJ8.  Banged
> up rear boxes are holed/rusted thru - just age and bottoming out.
>
> Would like the List's collective experience.  ...
Have given this subject lots of time, thought, money and frustration.  Even
read a book called 'Scientific Design of
Exhaust and Intake Systems' (if you ever have trouble sleeping ...).

I'm currently running a system cobbled together from 20+-year-old Ansa pipes
and generic glasspacks.  The pipes--where
they haven't been clobbered--are in perfect condition, but I rarely start the
car unless I'm planning an hour or more of
mostly highway driving.  It's noisy--somewhere between a stock BJ8 system and a
straight-piped Harley, but surprisingly
quiet at highway speeds.  I've wrapped the downpipes--which some claim will
lead to their early demise--but the main
casualty seems to be the front mufflers--I've had to replace them after only
15K miles or so.  I believe most, if not
all of the current aftermarket products are glasspacks and not baffled
('turbo') systems (the Ansa mufflers were
glasspacks).  The glass/steel wool will deteriorate over a few years; the
extra-hot exhaust gas from my wrapped
downpipes exacerbates the problem.

Have heard--have no hard data--that the longer BJ8 system actually improves
low-end torque (but may limit top-end HP).
Something to do with natural resonances at certain engine speeds.

When I get tired of welding new glasspacks in I will look for a good-quality
mild steel system (I believe Walker brand
has been recommended).  Or, Moss has a new, polished SS system that has gotten
good reviews for other LBCs (however,
these are glasspacks and I suspect the packing will be gone before the metal
goes).   I would scuff the SS and coat
black.  This stuff works very well:

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/design-engineering-inc/exhaust-wraps-accessories/ht-silicone-coating

It needs to be 'tempered' at 400degF--after applying I go over with a propane
torch with spreader.  Holds up better than
any paint I've tried.

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net