[Healeys] Engine Stands Again

Subject: [Healeys] Engine Stands Again
From: lapierrem at sbcglobal.net (Mark LaPierre)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:39:29 -0400
I suggest removing the head before rotating.  This takes a considerable
amount of weight off the unit.     Even then its not a bad idea to have an
assistant to help in the rotation operation.   There are so many different
units available online and at parts stores.   I would suggest 1000 lb unit
capacity is a good standard.   And the balance of the unit after the engine
is hanging is important.   Our straight six eng. are pretty long compared to
even some standard 8 cyl. of today.

Hope you shopped around.

Take it back if you don't feel safe and tell them what the problem is.
They can probably get you one that works better.
Some of this is trial and error unfortunately.

FYI,  my main problem with my unit was that the damn bolt tubes on the
engine carriage weren't long enough to clear
the crank shaft pulley.  And of course I wasn't aware of this until I got
the engine in situ , hanging on the stand and went to
turn the crank and Damn-it.   No go.   I had to set the engine down and shim
up the the bolt tubes with about 7 washers on each tube.
That was fun..    Like I said ,  trial and error.

Mark