[Healeys] Off Topic Rolls Royce Running Resources

Subject: [Healeys] Off Topic Rolls Royce Running Resources
From: glemon at neb.rr.com (Greg Lemon)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:22:41 -0500
I have a Rolls Royce Question from  a contact through our club if anyone has
any knowledge or if there is a Rolls Royce resource like the Healey list you
know of you can reply off list and directly to the person in question:

1st note from Josh:

"Josh Shafer <josh.shafer at hotmail.com>

My name is Josh Shafer. I recently stumbled upon your club and am hoping that
you might be able to help me out. I know the club is for Austin Healey's, but
I have a question about the carbs on a '79 Rolls Royce. I know that both cars
use the same brand so I thought maybe you could give me some advice or point
me in the right direction. The car is located in North Platte. We bought the
car over a year ago knowing it needed some carb work. We were able to find a
local guy in NP who also had an AH. He was able to rebuild the carbs, but we
have had a very hard time getting them dialed in. The car runs, but it has
idle problems and it is just a pain to try to get them running properly. Any
insight or literature you might have would be greatly appreciated. Moreover,
if you know of anyone in the NP area who might be knowledgeable, I would love
to get a hold of them. Thanks for your help - Josh"

2nd Note more detail:

"Hi Greg, thank you for your email. It is actually a Silver Shadow with two SU
HIF7 carbs mounted to a central tee that mounts to the manifold. And yes, it
has a TON of emissions crap that is a pain. I would be very grateful if you
would forward my message onto your list. It is fine with me if you keep my
email in the message.I will try and go into some greater detail for you as to
what is happening.
Upon initial starting, the car runs just fine. But about 10 minutes of driving
around, the RPM's just die off and you have to keep your foot on the gas to
even keep it at idle. There were some problems initially with the fast-idle
and the throttle cam not staying in place and it would drop off, or the
linkage would come loose. But those two problems seem to be fixed. I'm not
sure if maybe the auto-choke is keeping it up to speed initially or not. I was
under the impression that if you tap the gas really fast after you start it,
the auto-choke will disengage. This seems to be the case as the RPM's do drop
to normal idle speed. But once you start driving it, it wants to die after a
few minutes.
What I suspect to be the problem is the pistons in the upper carb. I know you
are supposed to keep oil in them, but it seems like it disappears immediately.
You fill it up, run it, and it needs topped off again. Therefore I seem to
think something isn't working right, and the pistons functioning right and
letting in the right mixture of air. But again, the whole setup is much
different than American carbs and it is challenging to figure out
Finally, I received another email from you where it looked like you were going
to attach a manual for the carbs but nothing was there. I have the shop manual
for the car, but there isn't a lot on the carbs themselves.
Thanks again for your help - Josh"

I already told him what the dashpot piston oil does and that that should not
be causing the car to die, but may cause other problems like stumble on
accleration.