Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Oil consumption

To: Healeys@autox.team.net, Niels Bengaard <bengaard@850r.dk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Oil consumption
From: Greg Mandas <gmandas@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
Niels,

It has nothing to do with the oil consumption, but I'd check the gap
on the intake and exhaust valves on #1 cylinder.  They sounded different than
the rest.  I'd bet one of them is a bit loose.

But, then again I don't always
know what I'm talking about.

Greg

--- On Mon, 7/25/11, Niels Bengaard

Date: Monday, July 25, 2011, 2:25 PM
> So far thank you all for your quick

> I was lucky to make contact with a member of the danish
> Austin
Healey Club who lives nearby and thursday I will go
> visit him. He will have
a look if the oil spilling is normal
> or not, he will also check if the valve
guides are worn, and
> if there are other problems. It4s so nice that people
are
> willing to help with such short notice.
>
> I haven't tried to run the
engine hot or at higher rpm , so
> I dont know how much spillage that gives.
By reading the
> archives I got the idea that it should only be dripping

lightly. I maybe misunderstood that.

> The engine doesnt normally drip at
all, it had the improved
> rear seal mounted when it was renovated. I noticed
some oil
> drops from that area after the long run, perhaps 5-10. I
> will
have to follow up on that continues or not.

> Regarding breaking in piston
rings, how many miles does it
> take?
> The mileage in San Francisco in 2007
when it was exported
> to Denmark was 33,758.
> The previous owner had the
engine fully renovated because
> of oil pressure problems, and only used it a
few times.
> I bought it in May 2010 with 34,214 miles.
> Today it4s at 35,600
miles.

> I changed oil and filter in april 2011 at 34,575 miles.
> 20w50
Castrol Classic.
> July 18. filled up to max with 0.8 litres (0.85
> quarts)
of oil at 35,250 miles
> Today oil at 20% above min, 35,600 miles.
>
> If you
have any more ideas please let me know, and I will
> talk with the club member
i am going to visit. I will return
> with what he concludes.
>
> Niels,
Denmark

> -----Oprindelig meddelelse----- From: BJ8 Healeys
> Sent:
Monday, July 25, 2011 6:17 PM
> To: 'Niels Bengaard'
> Subject: RE: [Healeys]
BJ8 Oil consumption

> It appears normal to me, Niels.  When I run my engine
> with the valve cover
> off, it doesn't take long for oil to begin spilling
over
> the lip of the
> head.  Problems with worn valve rockers and shaft

typically manifest as
> spurts of oil from the top of the rockers.  Have you

tried increasing the
> RPM to see if the oil comes out of the rockers at more
than
> a trickle?
>
> Do you have oil dripping from the lower parts of the
car,
> or are you sure
> the engine is burning oil and not leaking it?  I

wonder if the new piston
> rings are seated properly?
>
> Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666