Re: [Healeys] Runnin' hot

To: Alan Grossman <agrossman@pacific.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Runnin' hot
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:54:28 +0000 (UTC)
One of the major topics (along with 'which oil,' 'which tires,' etc.).

Healeys tend to run hot, probably due to being underradiated with not-too-good
airflow through the engine compartment (hence louvers, gills, etc.).

If block, radiator and coolant are clean, check timing, water pump, thermostat
and mixture. If those are good, possible remedies include:

1) better fan (SS flex work best but can be noisy, 'Texas Cooler' type plastic
fans work OK and aren't quite as noisy)
2) shroud and/or baffling around radiator and fan
3) wrap or coating on exhaust manifold and downpipes
4) 'Water Wetter' or similar in coolant might get a couple degrees

Water has better heat transfer characteristics than anti-freeze; if coolant
mixture has too much anti-freeze (over 50%) you lose some cooling capacity. If
you live/drive in an area that never/rarely freezes a 60/40 water/AF or even a
70/30 mixture should be fine.

I've tried most/all the available remedies (except for gills/louvers) and my
BJ8's temp will creep up at idle on hot days; otherwise it's tolerable.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA