[Healeys] broken spoke

Subject: [Healeys] broken spoke
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:27:47 -0700
Depends on where the spoke broke off.  If it's broken off right at the nipple
you'll have to remove the tire from the
wheel and install a new nipple.  If there's enough of the spoke to get a good
grip with some vice grips you should be
able to unscrew the stub (your favorite penetrating oil will come in handy).
It's best to use a spoke wrench on the
nipple (Moss# 385-800). I think it's 1/4" but an end wrench won't give you much
leverage.  Forget adjustable
wrenches--aka crescent--you'll just round the flats of the nipple.  If you get
the old spoke out you should be able to
feed a new one through the hub.   Snug it up until you get the same 'ring tone'
as the other spokes.

All bets are off if you have a sealed rim--like mine--they're great until you
need to replace a spoke or true the wheel.

Good luck.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net