[Healeys] broken spoke

Subject: [Healeys] broken spoke
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:15:22 -0700
AFAIK, you have to remove the sealing compound--usually, in a chemical (lye?)
dip--and re-seal after the wheel is fixed
and/or trued.  I suppose you could turn a nipple without removing the seal, but
I think that might weaken the seal and
cause leaks (I've had the seal removed/replaced a couple times, for truing).
FWIW, I've never broken a spoke on my
chrome/stainless (spokes) 72-spoke, 6-inch Daytons.  Note these wheels have
stainless spokes, but 'soft' metal nipples
(probably for cost or appearance).  A couple nipples were replaced with
stainless (don't remember why, but not because
of broken spokes).

That's been my experience, anyway.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net