[Healeys] BN2 overdrive driving me nuts

Subject: [Healeys] BN2 overdrive driving me nuts
From: healeyguy at bredband.net (Per Schoerner)
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:02:24 +0200
Josi
It seems to me that your cut out switch is incorrectly adjusted. The
purpose of this switch is to keep the overdrive engaged when you flip
the dashboard switch to the off position, provided the accelerator pedal
is not used. Then when you accelerate the overdrive should disengage.
This is to protect the overdrive from being disengaged while the wheels
are driving the engine.
The cut out switch is the thing with two wires attached that is operated
by the throttle. To adjust it, slacken the screw that holds the lever to
the axle. The axle has a cam that breaks the current when the throttle
pedal is depressed. Adjust it accordingly, e.g. when the throttle pedal
is depressed to about 20% the current should be cut off. Be careful, I
have come across one cut out switch that was incorrectly adjusted and
fried the wiring harness, so use an ohmmeter when you do this.
It's your point 4 that triggered this conclusion. Not using the
accelerator the overdrive should engage when the gear lever is in
3rd/4th and the dashboard switch is turned on, and stay there engaged
when you turn the dashboard switch off.

Per in Sweden