[Healeys] BN1 rear springs zinc interleaves

Subject: [Healeys] BN1 rear springs zinc interleaves
From: richchrysler at quickclic.net (Rich C)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 09:12:01 -0400
Two things about the BN1 rear leaf springs.

1. If you refurbishing original springs, the clips are set up to allow for
the thickness to take the interleaves. Removing the interleaves will leave
extra space and a lot of loose rattling will result. So some sort of
interleaves should be in place.
2. Be aware that BN1's using the earlier spiral bevel Austin Axle have a
much taller centre pin that sticks up and engages the fiber shim, the alloy
wedge, and finally the axle locating element. Today's new replacement
springs do NOT have a pin that is long enough to engage through all these
layers. In this application, a longer pin must be installed, whether it be
an original pin or a fabricated replacement. I am not aware of a new proper
length pin being available for this early axle application.

I refurbished a pair of original leaf springs for a BT7 many years ago and
was able to buy a roll of black Teflon from a truck spring repair business.
I could cut it with shears. It fit in perfectly and took up the space of the
original zinc leaves, and was quiet.

Rich