[Healeys] Moss brake cylinder recall

Subject: [Healeys] Moss brake cylinder recall
From: mrfinespanner at earthlink.net (Mr. Finespanner)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 20:32:19 -0700
Pegasus still offers genuine Girling master cylinders and that has
been my choice even before this Wal-Moss recall.  You will likely
need to swap over your old push rod to the new cylinder, but that's
certainly easy enough.  If your old push rod has an elongated hole
you just cut off the bad end, run some threads down the shaft, and
screw on a new clevis (available from McMaster for $5 - $7) with
a jam nut like a BJ8 brake master push rod arrangement.  Now you have a new
rod that lets you adjust pedal height, and Robert is your
father's brother.

What I can't understand is why Wal-Moss can't offer real Girling
when Pegasus can.  Why not provide the real thing, whenever
possible, for those who are willing to pay the higher cost, and
have a second line of bargain-priced Asian stuff for those with
more limited fundage?  They already do that to a certain extent in
the catalog, but it could be much expanded.  With the bucks some
of the cars have been selling for these days it's obvious that at least
a few folks have deep pockets and don't mind spending.  I am not well versed
in matters of big business and finance, but it seems to me that if a company
like Moss started buying from a geniune supplier, like Girling, then the
genuine supplier would be less inclined to discontinue production of those
bits.  That's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

regards,
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks