Re: [Healeys] petronix

To: healeymanjim@hansencc.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] petronix
From: Healey <healey@hunterbane.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 00:16:17 -0400
Pertronix will not resolve a bad distributer.  Not sure what distributer the
Morgan has, but most likely it has centrifugal advance, and the springs are
worn.  I had the same issue with a Porsche that worked ok on points, but the
Pertronix highlighted the real problem.  After rebuilding the dizzy, the same
pertronix unit worked great.  My suggestion to him is to send the distributer
(if Lucas) to Advance Distributers and have him rebuild it.  That was who did
mine for the Healey.  After 50+ years and 100,000+ miles or so, those springs
loose their strength and the lack of lubrication on the weights will throw off
an otherwise well tuned motor.

Olin Brimberry
61 3000 MKII
BT7 Sideshifter TriCarb
healey@hunterbane.com
www.hunterbane.com

On Nov 2, 2011, at 11:18 PM, <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
<healeymanjim@hansencc.net> wrote:

> want to help a guy in our club with a morgan that has a "missing and
sputtering" problem.  he has a petronix in it and i know nothing about these
things.  what should i be looking for.  suspected a coil and had it replaced,
but did not solve problem.   will naturally check carbs, etc., but suspect
ignition as car apparently starts and runs ok until it warms up.  any help
appreciated as i will be "flying blind" here.