Re: [Healeys] Gunson Colortune

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gunson Colortune
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:44:54 -0800
Single wire and Three wire sensors do use the exhaust/engine as a ground.
On a single wire sensor this is obvious.
On a three wire sensor there is a sensor lead, and power and ground for the
heater circuit.  The heater circuit ground is NOT shared with the signal
ground. The ground is through the threads of the sensor to the exhaust and
up to the engine.
A four wire sensor would be independent of the exhaust/ engine.
Five and six wire sensors would not be compatible with anything you could
cook up at home easily.
Rick