Re: [Healeys] Sticky cam shoe rod

To: "'Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Sticky cam shoe rod
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:57:29 -0500
Bob, many people, including me, have solved the problem by adding return
springs to the choke levers.  That is a more positive way of returning the
chokes than relying on the cam rod.  Which springs?  Well, I just used some
that were long enough to run from the choke levers to an attach point below
the carbs, and weren't too strong to make pulling out the choke difficult.
A suitable lower attach point is not easy to find, so I drilled a small hole
and installed a self-tapping screw to attach the lower end of the spring for
each carb.

An alternative suggested by Ed Kaler several years ago is to use ballpoint
pen springs on the end of the choke cables.  I did this, and it worked well
for a while.  I found that I needed two springs end-to-end to allow the
choke cable to be fully retracted without binding the spring, which made
them a bit difficult to handle until I made an assembly.  I bonded small
washers on each end, with a washer between the two springs, using J-B Weld.
The assembly was much easier to deal with.  I still have those springs on my
choke cables, but found that I still needed the other springs eventually.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA