Re: [Healeys] 4-cyl engine questions.

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 4-cyl engine questions.
From: Al Malin <amalin@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:28:13 -0500
An interesting question is which API Service Rating oil has been in the engine
during the brief times it has been run since the long-ago rebuild. The oil
could have had the higher levels of ZDDP needed for the flat tappet engine
since Service Rating SM wasn't introduced until November 2004, and then it was
specified for 2005 and newer engines.

The PO could not have used oil with Service Rating SM (lower ZDDP) if Bert
acquired the car prior to November 2004.

The mystery is: which oil did Bert use a few years back?  Service Rated SL (or
earlier) could be the only oil the engine has seen.

An interesting question is: if the PO ran the re-built engine, how long did he
run it?

Al Malin
Tricarb

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html