[Healeys] 4-cyl engine questions.

Subject: [Healeys] 4-cyl engine questions.
From: coudesluijs at chello.nl (Oudesluys)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:50:28 +0100
Bert,
Prior to starting up I would fill up the engine to well over the crank
journals with 20W50, some squirts (penetrating) oil containing
Molybdenumdisulfide or Graphite through the plug holes, turn the engine
slowly by hand for a couple of times to get some oil in all bearings,
drain the oil to normal level, turn the engine on the starter, still
without plugs, until you have oil pressure, refit plugs and fire up the
engine and leave running until hot (1-2 hours) and check all systems for
leaks and proper working. Do not do this in the garage as there will be
a massive amount of smoke from the burned oil for a few minutes.
Running in is a matter of opinion. I prefer to run in my engines for
longevity, low loads (never full throttle) and max 2500-3000 rpm
depending on the engines stroke, for the long stroke AH engine I would
choose no more than 2500rpm for about 750mls. After that you can
gradually increase rpm and load. The engine is fully run in after about
5000mls.
Change oil and filter after the first start up, than at 500mls, than at
normal intervals.
Some think this way the engine becomes "lazy". They prefer to break in
the engine at full load and throttle. This may or may not result in a
more responsive engine (which I very much doubt), it will also reduce
the life of the engine.
There is little use to take compression readings until the engine is run in.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL