[Healeys] Foam replacement

Subject: [Healeys] Foam replacement
From: richchrysler at quickclic.net (Rich Chrysler)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:16:56 -0500
Rich Kahn asked:

Is the top foam inside the BJ8 door available with out changing the vinyl?
It
is the piece next to the window glass.  Mine is getting "crunchy" but looks
fine. I cannot find it in the Moss book so I don't know what to call it.
Thanks
Rich Kahn

I believe you are referring to the inboard door capping piece that is
composed of a molded foam rubber of a triangular cross section that is
bonded to its steel mounting strip and is covered by black vinyl. Yes, this
foam can gradually get brittle as it begins to break down with age,
especially the driver's side.
Replacement assemblies are available but the only ones I've seen have a half
round section which is not correct for BJ8's. I don't know of the
availability of just the correct foam unless you can find one from a parted
out BJ8. The original foams are not handed so possibly a good one could be
retrieved from the passenger's side of a parts car.

Rich