[Healeys] Oil Flex Pipe Failure

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Oil Flex Pipe Failure
From: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@jcomm.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 17:52:33 -0800
On a drive today, a friend's oil flex pipe, the braid-covered hose
leading from the crankcase to the oil pressure gauge tube, ruptured
resulting in a catastrophic oil leak.
Fortunately, we discovered the problem early and stopped and secured
the car after losing only several quarts of oil.

We have topped up the oil, but need to move the car 4-5 miles to a
location where we can replace the ruptured pipe.
The break  is in about the middle of the flex pipe.

Can we simply clamp off the tube below (engine side of) the break with
a hose clamp or vice grips in order to drive the car a short distance
for repair?

Thanks for your help.
Charlie