Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Steering column

To: <bizcoachdonald@yahoo.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Steering column
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:38:26 -0500
Donald,

When you say you have taken out the long rod I'm thinking you mean the stator
tube.  There are wires inside the stator tube that need to be addressed unless
someone has removed them already.  First remove the trafficator by loosening
up the three grub screws on the outer perimeter of the steering wheel hub,
then loosen the large round nut directly beneath the steering hub, and
carefully pull the entire trafficator straight out--DO NOT ROTATE AT ALL.  You
will have to disconnect the wires going into the steering box, tape them
together tightly and tape a thin wire to them so there will be something to
pull them back down when you put everything back.  Pull the trafficator and
wires out of the steering wheel.  If you have an adjustable steering wheel
then the stator tube will be a little longer than a foot.  If you don't have
an adjustable steering wheel then the entire stator tube will have to be
removed at once. To remove the longer tube you must first loosen the nut on
the front of the steering box which will allow the stator tube to slide.  Also
this will allow the lube in the box to flow out so be ready to catch the
steering box fluid.  There is a compression olive under the nut that will
slide off the stator tube as you pull it out (replace it with a new one when
refitting).  Now you can remove the steering rod support under the dash (self
explanatory), then remove the steering arm with a pickle fork or other
suitable tool or the ball joint that attaches the tie rod, steering rod, and
steering arm together (this may be easier).  Remove the three bolts that
secure the steering box to the frame and pull the box and outer steering tube
together out through the grill opening.  Easy as pie!!  Hope I didn't leave
anything out as this was recalled from memory.

Take care,

George Haywood
'65 bj8

> From: bizcoachdonald@yahoo.com
>
> I have the manual but not having taken apart one before I don't want to tear
anything up. I have pulled the long rod out from the steering box. At the
steering wheel everything is rusted solid.